Gooooooo Dawgs! Sic 'em!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pan Seared Swordfish with Lemon Butter


Sorry I have been away for so long- I have been busy being wined and dined at restaurants like Ruth's Chris and wining and dining myself at places like Waffle House.  This being my last full week of summer I am trying to get a lot of cooking out of my system and so far so good.  I've made three things in two days!

Trey is always saying, "You can always cook me seafood," on the rare occasions that I make it.  I am not really a fan of seafood except for crab, lobster, and scallops, so cooking fish never appealed to me.  Last week, however, I was watching Giada at Home (oh, summer how I'll miss you) and she cooked halibut with lemon butter.  She had me at lemon butter!  So I decided to give it a try. 

My grocery store gets their halibut in on Wednesdays and I went on Monday so I had to rethink my plan of attack.  After cross referencing my sources I settled on Swordfish since that was a thick cut like the halibut and supposed to be "nonfishy" for the "nonfish" eater.  It worked very well!  Not only does fish cook up incredibly fast on the stove top it is light and flaky.  However, I must admit it was the sweet and tangy lemon butter that made the dish.  I served it up with some fresh steamed green beans and crusty bread left over from Ruth's Chris. Trey not only finished his plate but he ate the left over fish of mine as well that I couldn't finish!

To marinade the two swordfish steaks combine:


1/4 cup olive oil

Juice from one large lemon

1/4 tsp kosher salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 smashed and roughly chopped garlic cloves

and let the swordfish sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes flipping occasionally.



While that is marinating, you can combine the following ingredients to make the lemon butter:

Juice from half of a large lemon

Zest of a large lemon

1/2 stick of room temperature unsalted butter

1/4 tsp of kosher salt and pepper




Once the fish is done marinating, place it in a skillet on medium heat and cook on each side for about three minutes.  Be careful not to overcook the swordfish since it can dry out very quick (or so I've read).  I did not add any extra fat to the skillet.  I just utilized the olive oil that was stuck to the fish when I pulled it out of its bath.


Once done, add your sides and you have a healthy (ish) meal that takes only minutes of hands on time.  I love a recipe that requires very little prep!


I told Trey that I had made dessert but I didn't tell him what it was (surprise!!). I made him wait until we went over to his new house and unpacked some (a very minimal amount even though he needs to be out of his apartment by Monday) stuff.  I'll let you know tomorrow was it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment